Is it necessary to learn how to become a website designer?
Collapsing! Yes, you heard me right after the pandemic. Almost all businesses are on the verge of collapsing. All offline businesses that are not changing their strategies with the changing situations will no longer exist.
E+R=O, well said by Jack Canfield. Events (negative or positive) will keep coming; the way we respond to them decides our future. Let me tell you a real incident related to the above saying.
During the whole pandemic, the world was going through an economic crisis, and so did one of my uncles. He had an offline saree (an ethnic cloth used in India by the girls and women) store and a grocery store. I will never forget that day when he came to our house and literally was shattered from inside, crying and yelling like nothing was left for him to do in his life. My dad consoled him and gave him emotional support.
At one corner of my room, I was standing and listening to the whole scenario. That night no one in my house had a good sleep. That night even I didn’t have a good sleep, thinking there was any way I could help (as I have started my career in Digital Marketing). The next morning, I took my uncle for a long drive, and that was the moment my learnings in digital marketing came into play.
I explained to him the role of digital marketing in the online world. I told him about website design and all the different ways to market his products online. I saw a ray of hope in his eyes, but it wasn’t so bright because he thought being a newbie in this field can he trust me. I assured him a total guarantee of his business and promised to teach him how to become a website designer and all the marketing tactics.
That was the moment I realized, just like my uncle, how many people out there must need learning about website designing. I ran a poll on social media platforms for how to become a website designer. I was shocked by the response. At that moment, I decided to write this article so that all small business owners can glimpse the power of website designing.
The world is shifting online. For any business to exist for the long term, it is a must to have a website. So, now you must have got the answer to why it is necessary to learn how to become a website designer both from the point of a business owner and a freelancer or consultant who wants to provide website designing services.
What is Website Designing
The term “website design” itself tells you that it is related to design- a website.
Website designing is basically giving your website an aesthetic look. It focuses on the UI (User Interface), UX (User Experience), and Visual Display. Website designing improves the usability of a user on his website. Previously, when the internet era had not rolled over completely to the public, creating a website was very complicated. Big companies hired programmers and web developers to create websites because highly skilled coding was required to develop a website.
But today, times are changed. Technology has become so advanced that a normal website is built within 2-3 days with the help of tools and software. Website developers play a role definitely, but web designers can create maximum websites with no coding as we get inbuilt coded website builders by default.
In website designing, the main focus is given to the layout and the appearance of your website e, i.e., how the contents are structured on every page of your website. Website designers use many themes and plugins to carry out all functionalities of website designing. Themes are like the skin of a website, like we use wall paints in our house to make it beautiful from the inside. Plugins are like software in your mobile phone and are used to increase the functionality of a website.
Web Developers vs Web Designers
Work of a Web Developer:
- A Web Developer is basically a programmer or a coder.
- The focus is on how a website functions.
- They are more expert in the technical areas.
- They manage the core structural part of any website.
3 kinds of developers: Front-end developer (Manages the actual website), Back-end developer (manages the database and the server), Full-stack developer (manages both the front-end and the back-end of a website.
Work of a Web Designer:
- They give an aesthetic look to a website.
- Highly Creative
- Works on the layout and appearance of a website
- Tools they use are Adobe, Photoshop, etc.
- They make the journey of a user very simple
- They work on branding and color theory.
Three types of designers: UI (User Interface), UX (User Experience), Visual
How to Learn Web Designing
In today’s time and age, acquiring the skill of website designing is no big deal.
Here are some of the learning platforms from where you can consume the above skill:
- YouTube- You can learn from this platform free of cost, but here the problem is you will get every knowledge about website designing in an unstructured way.
- Udemy- There are many courses available on this platform at an affordable price.
- Skill share- You can also check out some courses here.
You will find many more online platforms to find website design courses. But I would highly recommend enrolling in some of the live workshops, such as five days workshop on website design. You can also check out this free WordPress course.
Is Website Design a Good Career Choice
- Definitely yes without any doubt.
- You can work from anywhere in the world.
- You just need an internet connection and a laptop/PC.
- You Can work for multiple clients as a freelancer.
How Long it Takes to Become a Web Designer
There is no specific time period for becoming a website designer.
Web Designing is a long-term game. You will improve your expertise from time to time through consistent practice.
If you want, you can finish a free Website Design course or a workshop within one week, but you need to practice a lot before you go to the market and start providing services.
How to Become a Web designer in India
There are many myths on how to become a website designer in India. Some say you need to do a four years Bachelor’s degree in Website Design. Some say you need to learn a depth coding language. According to my experience, these are a few guidelines by which you can start your web designing journey.
- Find your target audience: In the beginning, you have to choose a specific audience to whom you will provide web designing services. choosing audience, is must as you cannot provide services to every industry in the beginning. Some of the services which you may target are health care, real estate, hotels, resorts corporates, etc.
- Create your own portfolio: It is very much required to create a portfolio as it will help you in attracting more clients. At first, you can give your service for free to get good testimonials, and then you can start charging your clients.
- Build a social media presence: It is a must for your Personal Branding. Some social media platforms are Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
- Blogs: Write blogs on your website to drive more traffic so that people will come to know about your services.
- Freelancing Platforms: Upload your portfolio and GIGs on different freelancing platforms such as Fiverr, Upwork, etc.
What is the Salary of a Website Designer?
If you are working as an employee, your salary may differ based on which company you work for.
How Much Does a Web Designer Earn?
As a Freelancer & as a newbie:
- Personal Branded Website- 10,000 to 15,000 INR
- E-Commerce Websites- 15,000 to 50,000 INR depending on the number of pages
- Corporate Websites- 30,000 to 1 Lakh INR
- The best CMS for mastering Website Design is WordPress because of its simplicity and user experience.
- Website Designing is one of the most important skills to be learned in 2022 and beyond because almost each and every business is shifting online, so everyone needs a website.
- Don’t procrastinate. Start from today or never.
- Also, master the use of Elementor WordPress Plugin.
If you want to continue experiencing such type of knowledge & insights, then you can visit my page.